Bruce S. Brunschwig
|Beckman Institute, MC 139-74
|California Institute of Technology
|1200 E California Blvd.
|Pasadena, CA 91125
Bruce S. Brunschwig has been studying change transfer, inorganic photochemistry and solar
fuels solar chemistry for 40 years, and has published over 200 papers.
Dr. Brunschwig graduated from the University of Rochester
with a B.A. in Chemistry in 1966 working with Prof. Robert W. Kreilick. He received a Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry
from the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn (NYU School of Engineering) under the
supervision of Prof. Norman Peterson in 1972. He then taught for five years at
Hofstra University where he served as department
Chair for his last two years. He moved to the Chemistry Department
at Brookhaven National Laboratory in 1977 where he worked with
Dr. Norman Sutin. He rose to the rank of Senior Chemist. He moved to the
Beckman Institute of the California Institute of Technology
in 2003 where he is a Member of the Beckman Institute and director the Molecular Materials Resource Center and
is active in Solar Conversion Research.
- Studies of homogeneous and heterogeneous thermal and photoinduced electron-transfer reactions.
- Dark and light induced electron transfer between semiconductors and redox couples in solution.
- Kinetics and mechanism of the oxidation and reduction of water to produce dihydrogen and dioxygen.
- XPS, FTIR, and AFM studies of semiconductor surfaces.
- Spectroscopy of charge-transfer transitions in solution and on semiconductor nanoparticles.
- Models for electron-transfer reactions.
- Quantum chemistry calculations of Transition-metal complexes.
- Artificial photosynthesis.
- Passivation of semiconductor surfaces.
- Development and computerization of instrumentation.
- Vapor sensors arrays - artificial nose.
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry NYU/Polytechnic Institute , 1972
- A.B. Chemistry University of Rochester, 1966
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Hofstra University, 8/72-8/79;
- Research Collaborator, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 6/74-8/77
- Chairman, Department of Chemistry, Hofstra University 1/76-1/78
- Visiting Chemist, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 9/77-1/79
- Associate Chemist, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 9/79-9/82
- Chemist, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 10/82-12/02
- Visiting Scientist, California Institute of Technology, 9/91-1/92
- Senior Chemist, Brookhaven National Laboratory, 12/02-8/04;
- Beckman Institute of California Institute of Technology, 2/03-present
Solar Photoconversion Research
Interfacial Charge Transfer Spectroscopy
Lewis Group Research
The Floating of BSB's office
Norman Sutin and BNL Inorganic Photochemistry Group